Wednesday, November 7, 2012

ThRiFt StORe SwEaTeR = LoOp ScArF in 3 easy steps

The other day my daughter and I stopped in an Ann Taylor Loft store to check out their latest winter fashions.  I fell in love with several of the Loop Scarves they had, but couldn't imagine paying $39.99 for half a sweater.  So I came up with my own version from a sweater I bought at the thrift store.


When shopping at the thrift store I looked for a sweater that was a little bulky and had a nice texture. The sweater I bought was a size M and I figured that would make a big enough scarf for me. I suppose the size sweater you buy depends on your size and how much bulk you like around your neck. A sweater with a long torso that is not too wide will make a nice bulky loop scarf


3 Easy Steps to the Perfect Loop Scarf


1.) Find the perfect sweater at the thrift store, garage sale or even an old sweater in your closet.



 2.) Cut the sweater straight across under the arms.




3.) Finish the cut edge. I folded over the cut edge and ran a zigzag stitch along it just to keep it from raveling. You could also do a slip stitch or blanket stitch by hand, use fray check, or leave it if you don't think it will ravel.





There you have it -  my version of a $39.99 loop scarf for $2.99.
3 Easy Steps - gotta love it!

Pin It
With this scarf I did a slip stitch with embroidery floss around the cut edge.  I like it much better than the machine finish.


The fabric of this sweater was ideal for a loop scarf.  No edge finish was needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment