Thursday, October 25, 2012

Recycled Gift Tags

Home made gift tags - super easy and cheap too!

Pin It

Another great garage sale find -  a set of cards from a Rolodex. When I saw them at the sale I immediately thought of "gift tags."   I paid 25 cents for a bundle of about 100 cards. 



To make the cards a little more interesting I decided to coffee stain them.  It is fairly simple.  I mixed up a batch of instant coffee and quickly dipped each card in the coffee.


I placed the cards on a microwave safe dish.  Layering them is fine - I try and get as many done at one time as possible.


Microwave on high for a minute. The edges will begin to curl as they dry. 

After a minute I flipped them over and put them back in the microwave for another 30 seconds (be careful they will be hot and steamy).   I continued to microwave them in 20-30 second intervals until they were almost totally dry.

Now the fun began.  My friend Anne and I gathered up a variety of scrap-booking supplies and headed over to visit our friend's sister, Wanda,  who was home bound after having ankle surgery.  We spread out the supplies and went to town creating a variety of gift tags.  Once we came up with a design we developed an assembly line to make the process go more quickly.

Here's what we came up with.....

Pin It












In just a few hours we made over 150 gift tags and we helped Wanda's afternoon go more quickly. 


Pin It


As an after thought, Anne made some of her tags into cards!  Love it!




2 comments:

  1. I am not a coffee drinker, any other ideas as to what I could use to stain the paper with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea will do the same thing, but may not be as dark. I am not a big coffee drinker, but I have a small jar of cheap instant coffee on hand for projects like this.

    ReplyDelete